Tuesday


Today I had a dental appointment set up to get some cavities filled. This situation proposed some pros and cons, or highs and lows as some Revolution Church attendees (the "Revos") call them. To begin, the good part about having a dental appointment is that I have the luxury of missing a couple hours of work, and in addition, I slept in for an extra hour. On the other hand, there will soon be an onslaught of pointy objects, drugs, drills, and strange hands in my mouth. I would also like to mention, and this is something I'm very proud of, that I never (and I mean NEVER) had a cavity in my life. This of course gets me thinking that maybe there is some dental conspiracy, but I will save this thought for another Bloggle.

Continuing on, I arrive at the dentists' at a leisurely pace, which is very nice compared to the epic struggle of road warriors that I face every morning. Upon my arrival, I am greeted and then kindly ignored. I am then shown the prices for the different fillings I can get for the cavities. The first choice is silver, which is inexpensive, but unnatural looking. The second choice, which I think is porcelain, is natural looking, but very expensive. I, of course, go for the silver, mainly because it's inexpensive; but also, silver in the mouth could also come in very handy if a werewolf ever attacked me, and my only defense would be to bite him/her.

So I choose the silver fillings, and they show me where to sit down. A few minutes later I am prepped with whatever drugs they inject in my face, and then after 5 minutes the dentist and her assistant are ready to do the damage. Once they begin the drilling, the two ladies start to converse, which I normally like because it eases the tension of having a drill shoved in my face. But in this case, I wasn't so thrilled about what I heard.

Assistant: So, did you get any sleep last night?

Dentist: Ummm, yeah, like four hours.

Me (thinking, of course): What?! Four hours? Are you sure you should be doing this right now? Maybe you should take a nap first.

Dentist: How about you, did you get any sleep?

Assistant: Yeah, maybe about four hours too. The baby needed to be fed.

Me (thinking, of course): Uhhhh? I think you both need to take a break before you continue.

Me (audibly): (nervous chuckle)

Dentist: Should we be saying this around the patient?

Assistant: No, we shouldn't… SAY GOODNIGHT SUCKER! (Places hands over my mouth and injects drugs into my neck)

(Everything occurring in Italics did not actually happen)

So the procedure went well, and everything seems fine. Everything except for the chunks of metal that I am finding in my mouth from time to time. But I won't worry about it; I'll just keep telling myself that eating metal is a "good thing"


No comments: