Monday

Things I notice when I work:

1. My feet smell.1
2. My pants are too long.2

1Sometimes, I like to take my shoes off while I work. Since I don't stand up and walk around a lot, I figure I should just kick off my shoes and rest them on top of my computer. With this luxury also comes a few drawbacks. Because the soft leather shoes absorb my foot sweat and oils, they retain a strong pungent smell that only seems to be released when my feet are not inside of them. I don't know if other people can smell my foot stank when they walk in or around my office, but for me, I catch the direct blast of the sour smell because the shoes are stored underneath me, and maybe the computer fan helps circulate the smell too. Come to think of it, the smell of my shoes can be strong enough to wake me up and keep me attentive, thus allowing me to work better; so this could in fact be a positive notion. As well, I truly believe that warm air does rise after experiencing this scientific truth first hand. You might be surprised at how much heat your shoes can retain after your feet have incubated them for half a day. Personally I have felt that heat from up to 2 and a half feet away (and yes, I did measure).

2 Just recently, I have started purchasing more "nice" clothes. Figuring that I will be wearing professional/nice clothes for a good portion of my life, I started to buy nice clothes from stores such as Target and the GAP. Today, I am wearing a blue, black and white shirt from Target, which has French cuffs. To finish off my outfit, I am wearing a belt (also from target, which is two-sided, meaning that the belt can be black one minute, and with the flip of a belt buckle it will be a brown belt) and a new pair of pant that I bought from the GAP. I found these pants on the sale rack for $25, marked down from $50. In addition, Alyssa and I used a 30% off coupon, so the pants ended up costing about $17. Before my purchase, I tried on the pants and they seemed to fit perfectly, but when I put them on before work, I realized the pants were too long. I felt like I was back in elementary school, and my mom bought me a new pair of pants, but she purchased the next size up because she wanted them to last longer. Anyway, after high stepping to work, trying to avoid dragging my pant legs on the ground, I sat down in my office to solve this problem. I had many ways to approach the problem:

  1. avoid walking around the office
  2. cuff my pants inward (doesn't stay)
  3. cuff my pants outward (looks bad)
  4. find a way to keep pants cuffed inward…

Yes! Plan d is what I chose. In order to make this work, I would of course need something in the office to stabilize the cuff. After looking through my desk, I came up with two options, either a stapler or paperclips. Paperclips seemed too obvious, so I stapled my pant legs. They actually look nice. You can't even see the staples unless you look really hard. But then again, if someone tries to look closely at my pant legs, they will begin to smell that awful odor coming from my feet; and from there, they need to make a decision whether to find out if this guy has staples in his pants and if they should risk passing out from foot smell.

No comments: